What is ESC?
The Educational Service Contracting scheme, or ESC, is a program provided for by the Republic Act 8545 (amending R.A. 6728), or the Expanded Government Assistance to Students and Teachers in Private Education, or GASTPE. Its main objective is to decongest public secondary schools by “contracting” the excess capacities of private high schools through the provision of subsidies for students who, otherwise, would have gone to public high schools. The ESC was a response to stresses and strains at the high school level in both public and private school sectors.
Selection of ESC Grantees
- Elementary graduate from a Public or DepEd Recognized Elementary School
- Incoming Grade 7 student (ALS A&E/PEPT Grade 7 Qualifiers are included)
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- ESC Application Form
- ESC Contract with signature
- Photocopy of PSA Certified Birth Certificate
- Photocopy of Grade 6 Report Card
- Recent (2) 2×2 photo of ESC applicant
- Proof of Income (Latest ITR for the previous year) or Certificate of Tax Exemption or Municipal Certification of Unemployment of Parent/Legal guardian
IMPORTANT: Incomplete requirements will not be accepted by the Registrar for processing.
Terms of the ESC Grant
- Four years of Junior High School starting in Grade 7
Conditions of the ESC Grant
- The grant remains in force for the next school year
- No maintaining grade required
- If the grantee is promoted to the next grade level
- Enrolled in an ESC-participating JHS
- The grant is terminated if a grantee does any one of the following:
- Drops out for non-health reasons in the middle of the school year
- Does not reenroll the following school year
- Fails to be promoted to the next grade level
- Is dismissed or expelled by the school for disciplinary reasons
- Transfers to a non-ESC-participating JHS
Transfers to another ESC-participating JHS are allowed
- In cases when the applicable subsidy amount of the releasing school is different from that of the accepting school, the accepting school will be paid the lower of the two applicable subsidy amounts.
Grantees that drop out due to death of a parent or guardian, force majeure, prolonged illness, or accident
- May be reinstated into the ESC program provided they submit documents to support their claim.
Guidelines in the selection of ESC Grantees
- There is a selection committee composed of the School Principal, Parent Representative and Faculty Representative
- During enrollment, parents of eligible grade 7 students will accomplish the ESC application form and contract and submit to the school registrar.
- After the last day of enrollment period, the selection committee will meet and process the applications together with the submitted documents. Those student applicants coming from the public schools will be prioritized but will still be subject for screening.
- The committee will approve the student applications according to the guidelines set by the Department of Education.
- The set of approved student applications will be endorsed to the school registrar and finance officer.
- The school registrar will inform the parents of their child’s approved application.